Saturday, September 6, 2008

Cyprus Can Shock Italy – Ketsbaia

The Azzurri begin the defence of the trophy they won in Germany with a trip to Larnaca to play Cyprus in Group 8, in the opening round of qualifiers for South Africa 2010.

Italy will be big favourites for the game, however Ketsbaia, whose Famagusta side last month became the first Cypriot side ever to reach the Champions League group stages, believes that the World Champions may be in for a surprise.

"It is a big game,” Ketsbaia told Goal.com.

“Italy are a world class team but remember the game will be played on our [Anorthosis’] own ground.

“It's a small and football-only venue. Thus we hope that our friends who will come tomorrow will help the team achieve its target.

“That's no easy thing at all, but Cyprus have the players and the team to produce a big surprise."

Ketsbaia had a successful playing career, in which he represented the likes of AEK Athens, Newcastle United and Dundee, and the 40-year-old Georgian has spoken fondly of his time with the Scots.

"I had a great time in Dundee,” he recalled.

“Unfortunately the team is not in the SPL now. I hope that they will be back soon.

“I have very good memories from my time there. I had a very good relationship with the fans of the club and I can say that I really enjoyed my football there, something that didn't happen in the other teams in Great Britain I played for."

No comments: